[OpenAFS] Re: cyrus with storage in afs?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:20:47 -0700

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>> For argument's sake, let's assume only a single front-end (imapd)
>> machine.

> That's not especially dangerous, then. the worst risk is screwing with
> Cyrus' idea of the universe if a volume goes away under it, like, in
> particular i'm uncertain we ever audited cyrus to see if it handled
> write failures correctly in every case,

Ok, but this should be no worse than (a misguided effort at) running
cyrus out of NFS, right?

> I suppose I should say the locking semantics we have do make having
> multiple front ends dangerous.

Sure, I can see that.

So, is it safe to say that running cyrus out of AFS is no more risky
than running cyrus out of NFS?  I think that would be a whole lot less
mysterious.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380