[OpenAFS] Offlining of Database server

Marcus Watts mdw@spam.ifs.umich.edu
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:32:46 -0400

> Date:    Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:58:07 EDT
> To:      "Marcus Watts" <mdw@spam.ifs.umich.edu>
> cc:      <openafs-info@openafs.org>
> From:    "David Sonenberg" <dsonenberg@strozllc.com>
> Subject: RE: [OpenAFS] Offlining of Database server
>
> I do want to retire the old server entirely but I could change the new
> server's IP address to be the same as the old one.  If I was going to do
> this what would the procedure be?=20

Save sysid from the old host.
Boot it single-user, configure it to have a different ip address,
put sysid someplace different, turn it off, shove it in a closet.
	Oh, maybe remove KeyFile first.
	if you want it back later for any reason, you can turn
	it on and it won't break your cell.

	If you decide later to scrap it, consider erasing
	the disk & overwriting it with 0's, on the full disk
	partition, end to end (on linux, /dev/sda or /dev/hda...)
	If you have multiple drives, definitely get the one
	with the KeyFile, also do swap & better yet, just do
	it to every disk.

For the new server, bos shutdown.  install sysid on it.
bos status to be sure you don't have any db services configured.
change the ip address.  Reboot to be sure the new ip address took
effect. "bos create" pt & vl instances, probably to match your
other cell hosts.

If you only have *1* db host,
copy prdb.* and vldb.* from your old host.  Better yet,
copy everything from /var/log/openafs/db/* (or do you have
/usr/afs/db/* ?) to your new host.  You won't have a working
cell until the new host is up.

Copying sysid to the new server should suffice to make it catch
the fileserver change.  You might need to fiddle with "vos changeaddr"
or "vos syncvldb" if things aren't quite right.

If you had configured the new host to be a db server,
my, my...  what do you have in CellServDB where?

Ideally you should have a backup process for the database
files in /var/log/openafs/db/* and for your afs volume data.
It would be good to make sure those are up-to-date before doing
the above.

				-Marcus Watts