[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] afs cell backup

Andrew Bacchi bacchi@rpi.edu
Wed, 07 Mar 2007 09:32:51 -0500

Please don't send this general mail to the developers list, send it to
the openafs-info list.  Other folks may have a similar question and will
search that list.  The developers list is for matters of developing the
software.

Chechu wrote:

> we see a problen with openafs volumen backup. When we want to restore a
> single file, we must to restore a whole volumen,
> it is thus?

Yes, it is thus.  It is really quite a simple matter.  I restore a
volume as user.xxx.rst, so as not to conflict with the original volume
name, then I mount this volume in a temporary directory under the users
home directory.  That way the user can grab what he/she needs and then I
dismount the directory and remove the restored volume.

> we know the  suite of backup commands from openafs allow us make backup
> to openafs volumen level, but we would like to known too if this suite
> allow us make file level back up.

No, you cannot make file level backups.  AFS only knows about volumes.
But who knows what the future will bring.