[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Client Availability

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 16:27:48 -0900

You are correct, the jiffies are /HZ.

However for a SMP kernel it appears that the apparent jiffies are NCPU times
- according to the docs I included previously. This implies that the timeout
is 1/2 as long for a dual cpu chip, etc.

Anyway, that explains what the defaults are but not why my system works
(apparently) with the defaults.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Jeffrey Hutzelman
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 3:59 PM
To: tcreedon@easystreet.com; openafs-info@openafs.org
Cc: Jeffrey Hutzelman
Subject: RE: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS Client Availability

On Thursday, March 08, 2007 12:05:07 PM -0900 ted creedon
<tcreedon@easystreet.com> wrote:

> This is true, but they are unset and I assume the default values are as
> noted in the sources. The definitions of ip_ct_udp_timeout and
> ip_ct_udp_timeout_stream are in seconds so I don't understand the
> jiffies/seconds conversion requirement.

The values you set via the sysctl interface are expressed in seconds.
The values present in variables in the kernel are expressed in jiffies.
The code which handles the get and set operations for those sysctl values
handles the conversion for you, so you don't need to worry about the
difference unless you are looking at kernel code and assuming the same
rules apply to it that apply to user code, which is not the case.

-- Jeff