[OpenAFS] afs cell migration

david l goodrich dlg@dsrw.org
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:30:34 -0500 (CDT)

> Hello everybody,
>
> We have an afs cell (atc.unican.es) installed in a HP Proliand DL380 G3
> and Linux (Debian 3.0 r2) server. The afs partitions (vicepxx)  for thi=
> cell are located in a HP MSA20 (SATA disk drive storage enclosure with
> 12 SATA disks with Ultra320 SCSI host connectivity and 6 TB). Now, we
> want migrate this cell (fileserver and dbserver) from this server to
> another server and we do not want to lose the data of our cell. We want
> to change the server (hardware), but no the disk library (vicepxx). We
> want to conserve  the data in this disk library.
>
> So, we would like to know if there is some mechanism from afs admin
> commands suite that allows us to migrate it.

When I have upgraded server hardware while keeping the /vicep* disks, I
followed, roughly, these steps:
 1. Shut down $OLD_SERVER
 2. bring up $NEW_SERVER on $OLD_SERVER's IP address and hostname
 3. Install afs, set up $NEW_SERVER as a fileserver.
 4. shut down $NEW_SERVER
 5. move the /vicep* disks to $NEW_SERVER and power on
 6. make sure the /vicep* disks mount in /exactly/ the same place on
$NEW_SERVER as they did on $OLD_SERVER
 7. restart fileserver on $NEW_SERVER to see the mounted drives

it's been painless so far, I've done it a couple times.
  --david