[OpenAFS] openafs w/ amd64 kernel and 32bit user space

Christopher Allen Wing wingc@engin.umich.edu
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:33:42 -0400 (EDT)

Ken:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Kenneth Baker wrote:

> I am hoping to run a mixed environment with an amd64 kernel and a 32bit
> user space (along with a few statically compiled 64 bit apps).  Before I
> try this I would like to know if the openafs user space tools running in
> the 32bit user space will communicate correctly with the amd64 kernel?
> Has anyone tried this?

Yes, this works; however, why do you want to use 32-bit user space?  The
general consensus is that AMD64 code is faster/better in many ways and you
really shouldn't use i386 code on a 64-bit CPU if you can avoid it.
(this differs from e.g. Sparc where sparc32 code is generally faster than
sparc64 code, and so it makes sense to use a 32-bit userland there)

Thanks,

Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu