[OpenAFS] Re: chown()

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:59:21 -0400

On Wednesday, March 28, 2007 04:14:18 PM -0700 Adam Megacz
<megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:
>> Not true.  There are a number of subtle uses of file owners in AFS,
>> particularly with regard to how directories work where you have 'i'
>> but not 'w'.
>
> Hrm.  Are these documented anywhere (other than the source code)?

The published documentation explains how dropboxes work from the user's
point of view.  I don't believe there is a good description of the
mechanisms that make it work, but basically, if you have 'i' on a
directory, the fileserver will let you write to files in that directory
which you own.

-- Jeff