[OpenAFS] Setting up OpenAFS server on AIX

Karen L Eldredge keldredg@us.ibm.com
Tue, 15 May 2007 11:00:22 -0600

--=_alternative 005D60E4872572DC_=

The documentation that I've been looking at  describes how to configure
the Network Authenication Service servers using legacy configuration,
which is when the configuration is stored in a database on the local
system.

Karen Eldredge
keldredg@us.ibm.com

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>
Sent by: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org
05/15/2007 10:36 AM

openafs-info@openafs.org
cc

Subject
Re: [OpenAFS] Setting up OpenAFS server on AIX

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Karen L Eldredge wrote:

> When I attended the OpenAFS Workshop this year (version 7)I really
wanted
> to talk with Tom Keiser about the
> particulars of setting up OpenAFS on  AIX 5.3, because I was told he was
> one that has experience with AIX.  Here
> are a few questions that come to mind and any help would be appreciated.

Tom's answers are probably better than mine, but:

> Is it best to compile your own code or to use the code on the website?

Is there a reason our builds will not work for you? If not, use them.

> If compiling your own code  is best what are the options that should be
> used when compiling?

If you don't like our builds, obviously it's because you want to pick your

own (other) options, so I can't answer that :)

> We plan to use krb5.server which is shipped with the OS, and we thought
we
> might setup legacy servers instead of
> using LDAP, or is it best to use LDAP?   We haven?t started setting this

define "legacy servers"

--=_alternative 005D60E4872572DC_=

at &nbsp;describes how to configure the Network Authenication Service servers
using legacy configuration, which is when the configuration is stored in
a database on the local system.</font>
Karen Eldredge<br>
keldredg@us.ibm.com<br>
on AIX</font></table>
&gt; When I attended the OpenAFS Workshop this year (version 7)I really
wanted<br>
&gt; to talk with Tom Keiser about the<br>
&gt; particulars of setting up OpenAFS on &nbsp;AIX 5.3, because I was
told he was<br>
&gt; one that has experience with AIX. &nbsp;Here<br>
&gt; are a few questions that come to mind and any help would be appreciated.<br>
Tom's answers are probably better than mine, but:<br>
&gt; Is it best to compile your own code or to use the code on the website?<br>
Is there a reason our builds will not work for you? If not, use them.<br>
&gt; If compiling your own code &nbsp;is best what are the options that
should be<br>
&gt; used when compiling?<br>
If you don't like our builds, obviously it's because you want to pick your
own (other) options, so I can't answer that :)<br>
&gt; We plan to use krb5.server which is shipped with the OS, and we thought
we<br>
&gt; might setup legacy servers instead of<br>
&gt; using LDAP, or is it best to use LDAP? &nbsp; We haven?t started setting
this<br>
define &quot;legacy servers&quot;<br>