[OpenAFS] What is the best Linux to run openafs on?

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Tue, 29 May 2007 14:57:40 -0400

Mark B Henry wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running into problems compiling on SLES 10 with openafs 1.4.4.
>  It stops me with the following error:
>
> checking whether to build osi_vfs.h... checking for linux kernel
> module build works... no
> configure: error: Fix problem or use --disable-kernel-module...
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> The only way that I can get it to complete is to use the
> --disable-kernel-module but I am not sure if that is OK.
>
> MAIN QUESTIONS:  Is SLES 10 a good platform for openafs?  SLES 9?  Is
> there a better (more used) flavor of Linux that would make things easier?
>
> Is openafs 1.4.4 the best level to use for SLES 10?  SLES 9?  PowerPC
> or intel?
>
> Mark Henry
> Advisory Software Engineer
> IBM Systems and Technology Group
> (303) 924-8559  Tie Line 263-8559
We operate the afs server on both SLES9 and opensuse10.2.
We DO not run clients on any of our servers. Why put the extra compile
requirements on a what is basically a fileserver?
We can run the client on any thing we want and we do. Some of the OS's
are Solaris (sparc and Intel) Suse 10X, Fedora 5 and 6. Windows XP and Vista

--
Steve Devine
Network Storage and Printing

506 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra