[OpenAFS] Re: dropbox semantics ("irl")

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Thu, 31 May 2007 00:40:49 -0700

FAQ added:

  http://www.dementia.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/UsageFAQ#2_22_What_are_dropboxes

>> And I'm pretty sure it is indeed client enforced.  Try using arla and
>> see if it works differently.

> I just went and read server code. Yeah, that thread is basically right.

This is especially unfortunate in the case of unauthenticated users.

> We could make it so it effectively became create+append, but there are
> some tweaks which would need to be done.

... meaning that RXAFS_StoreData would be permitted only when storing
to locations beyond the end of the file?  Yeah, that sounds
reasonable.  And also RXAFS_RenameFile with the dropbox as a target.

Perhaps a time limit would also make sense (if file's modification
time is more than 1 hour prior to now, refuse all storedata's, even
beyond the end of the file).

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380