[OpenAFS] Howto speedup the restore of a crashed fileserver

Jose Calhariz jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:57:19 +0100

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

Hi,

I have lost a fileserver because of a corruption on the reiserfs v3.
Something like 1000 volumes and 100GB of data were lost.  The backups
were made using amanda with standard tar. =20

My problem is the recovering of the data to the surviving filesystem
is taking too much time.  Something like 7 hours to recover 7 GB.
Will I need 100hours to recover from tar 100GB?

What can be the problem?  What I can do to speedup the recovery?

I am running Debian etch on servers with openafs 1.4.2-6.  Now I have
only one fileserver with a RAID5 with 7 disks of 700GB using
reiserfsck and 3 small fileservers. =20

     Jos=E9 Calhariz

--=20
P.S. [En_US] The sig below is from my random sig-generator, which strangely
often seems to pick signatures which are apropriate to the message at
hand!

P.S. [Pt_Pt] A assinatura em baixo =E9 do gerador aleat=F3rio de
assinaturas, que estranhamente, escolhe com frequ=EAncia assinaturas que
parecem apropriadas ao email!
--
	Infeliz o povo que precisa de herois.
		-- Bertold Brecht=20