[OpenAFS] Howto speedup the restore of a crashed fileserver

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:25:03 -0700

Jose Calhariz <jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt> writes:

> I have lost a fileserver because of a corruption on the reiserfs v3.
> Something like 1000 volumes and 100GB of data were lost.  The backups
> were made using amanda with standard tar.

> My problem is the recovering of the data to the surviving filesystem
> is taking too much time.  Something like 7 hours to recover 7 GB.
> Will I need 100hours to recover from tar 100GB?

What did you tar up?  I can think of a lot of possibilities (the raw namei
filesystem, the contents of AFS archived with admin credentials, tarballs
of volume dumps), and the answer somewhat depends.

If you've archived AFS via tar using admin credentials, I'm not sure
there's anything you can do that's faster than creating new volumes and
untarring the contents into those volumes.  You can do that directly on
the relevant file server to reduce your network latency a little.