[OpenAFS] Howto speedup the restore of a crashed fileserver

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 01 Oct 2007 19:15:43 -0400

In message <87lkamg0ao.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu>,Russ Allbery writes:
>If you've archived AFS via tar using admin credentials, I'm not sure
>there's anything you can do that's faster than creating new volumes and
>untarring the contents into those volumes.  You can do that directly on
>the relevant file server to reduce your network latency a little.

i would guess that vos restore restore from a file would be a bit faster
than using tar to copy in and out of the cache manager.  i dont have
any timing to prove this one way or the other though.

as for dumping, vol-dump seems pretty speedy but its got a few
issues, as i recall:

	http://www.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2004-July/010774.html