[OpenAFS] fileserver on etch may crash because ulimit -s 8192

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 22:21:43 -0500

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
> XFS is a lot better than ReiserFS, though, in terms of support and
> knowledge by the kernel developers, and would probably be fine.  It is
> faster for a lot of usage profiles than ext3.

I have had some problems with XFS on a Debian-based AFS fileserver.  XFS
decided to off-line a volume due to a long timeout in the underlying
RAID volume.  I would not recomend it without heavy testing.

>> Ok, I have by default "ulimit -c 0".  I don't depend on core files
>> for so many years I forget about ulimit -c 0.  Now I am a sysadm not
>> a programmer.  I only program in bash and install gdb for other
>> people to use, not for myself :-)
>
> Right.  :)  I got caught recently the same way, actually.

I'll note that someone mentioned a problem with the 8192 stack size in
Debian a few months ago in the #openafs IRC channel.  They worked around
the problem with via changing some setting before starting the AFS
processes.  Unfortunately I do not remember the exact solution or the
exact problem, but you are not the only one experiencing it.

<<CDC