[OpenAFS] AFS Fileserver Won't Start --> Can't Release root.cell or root.afs

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 08:45:37 -0500

Karl M. Davis <karl@ridgetop-group.com> wrote:
> Well, after rebooting again, things suddenly seem to be working.  No
> idea why...
>
> I still have some problems with making RO copies of root.cell and
> root.afs, though.  Running "vos release" gives me:
> <<
> karl@picacho:~$ vos release -id root.cell
> Failed to start a transaction on the RO volume.
> VOLSER: volume is busy
> The volume 536870918 could not be released to the following 1 sites:
>               picacho.ridgetop-group.local /vicepa
> VOLSER: release could not be completed
> Error in vos release command.
> VOLSER: release could not be completed
> karl@picacho:~$ vos release -id root.afs
> Failed to start a transaction on the RO volume.
> VOLSER: volume is busy
> The volume 536870915 could not be released to the following 1 sites:
>               picacho.ridgetop-group.local /vicepa
> VOLSER: release could not be completed
> Error in vos release command.
> VOLSER: release could not be completed

Try vos release -id root.afs -verbose -local as root to get more info
and use your KeyFile instead of user tokens.

Does vos listaddrs -noresolve print out?

And can you vos changeaddr -remove any incorrect IP addresses?  (You
might need to vos remsite replicas attached to those IPs first.)
You might still be having problems related to having your 127.*
/etc/hosts line match the actual IP of your AFS server.  In theory you
can shutdown both AFS servers, delete your VL DB and have it regenerated
via vos syncserv and vos syncvldb commands.  Of course, this could also
make things worse.

<<CDC