[OpenAFS] Automatic move of volumes

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:13:55 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 09:31:55AM -0400, Steve Devine wrote:

[snip]

> >If you can afford some downtime, the most efficient way is to simply copy
> >the files from /vicepa to /vicepb on the server's filesystem:
> >
> > cd /vicepa;cp -a . /vicepb
> >
> >Make sure, /vicepb is empty before that.
> >
> >Warning: This worked for me lots of times but be carefull anyway.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Frank
> >

> Wow this seems like a recipe for disaster. Do you then sync the vldb or
> rename the partiton to vicepa

Sorry - I forgot. Of course the data partition name has to be the same after
the copy process. I tried it once using syncvldb and ended up having multiple
RW instances of the same volume on the server.

I mostly use cp for simple harddisk upgrades (on small machines). For
Multi-TB-servers vos move to a different server is the better choice mainly
because of the low uptime.

Regards,

Frank