[OpenAFS] Automatic move of volumes

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:22:39 -0500

Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> perl scripts exist to do it and I think have been posted here in the
>> past; they may even deal with the "RO already exists" case.
>
> It would be nice if there were a repository of publically available
> contrib stuff like that.

I've offered to maintain such a thing if someone would be willing to
grant AFS space in some part of a public cell.  I can't really host
things at UIUC due to various campus network usage policies.

And actually, with AFS we can just create a mount point to a world
readable volume in any public cell so that the contributor can maintain
the most up to date version without involving someone in updating the
content.

>> the interesting case is where the RW has unreleased changes and you
>> want to recreate the ROs as they are now. i don't know of
>> distributed tools to do this.
>
> I hadn't really thought about people intentionally keeping their RWs &
> ROs out of sync w/each other.  I'm not clear why someone would want to
> do that -- could you elaborate?

Yes, I do this.  This isn't easy to work around either as I'm pretty
sure that vos dump and vos copy specifically prevent you from doing
operations on an RO volume.

For instance I may pre-stage content for a website that is to be
released next week at 10a on Monday.  I can then cron the release and
have the data show up exactly at a specific time.  However, what usually
happens is that some last minute change needs to be made to the current
live website and its not easy to undo the new site, make the change, and
then re-release.  I generally end up deleting (copying elsewhere first
of course) the contents of the RW with rm, copying the RO, making
changes and re-releasing.  And then putting back the pre-staged content.

<<CDC