[OpenAFS] Automatic move of volumes

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:38:53 -0400

On 10/24/07, anne salemme <anne.salemme@dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>    - having a well-known, scheduled time for releasing certain volumes
> to ensure that files become available at an approximately-scheduled time
> (useful for website management, or for dealing with vos releases of very
> popular volumes typically near the top of an afs tree)

What's wrong with simply doing vos dump with the timestamp then?  And
having an name encoding rule that lets you determine the base RW
volume + timestamp.  For example,

'base' volume = mydata
'timestamp' volume is md.2007102402 (for the snapshot created via vos
dump mydata | vos restore at 2am)
you can then create RO clones of md.2007102401; RO's of 'mydata' aren't needed

cutting over from the md20071001 to md.2007102402 means an
intermediate volume  needs to exist that contains that change, but
it's contents can be programmatically determined based on the time.
You would  have 'dev' and 'prod' links in that volume that always
point to the hour-appropriate versions.

In general, I now understand some of what people are doing with the
RW/RO differences -- thanks for the explanations.  But it seems to me
that there are ways to deal with this -without- needing to keep RWs
and ROs intentionally out of sync.

It would be interesting, though, if vos addsite/release had a built-in
generational mechanism to mark ROs.  That could lead to other ways to
solve these problems.

Steven