[OpenAFS] Automatic move of volumes

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:04:05 -0400

In message <ef99b6f40710240715x3cc4333axab1893578643d277@mail.gmail.com>,"Steve
n Jenkins" writes:
>- there is no error checking in here, so there are potential issues (I
>realize your script is generating the commands, not actually doing
>them, but it still needs to address error checking -- if nothing else
>stick a '|| exit 1' at the end of each command)

you are free to add error checking.  i dont make misteaks so i dont
bother with error checking.

>- handling RWs first will break RW/RO clones (if any exist) -- you
>probably don't want to do that.

to be honest, i usually run the script in two passes.  doing the rw
first, and later run it with the -ro flag.

>- the RO handling is not good -- what happens if the _only_ RO is on
>the old server and the remsite happens?  Clients with existing

never considered that since we dont have a single readonly for any
volumes.  if i have a readonly, i have more than one site.

>- in general, handling RW/RO pairs is best handled separately

you could just change the order a bit.  it should zap the old readonly
to force the old users of the readonly to the new readonly to get them
off the sever asap.