[OpenAFS] Automatic move of volumes

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:53:51 -0400

On 10/24/07, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> where's Phil so I can beat him up some more?

Heh.  He's about 100 feet from where you got your most recent Mac.
But you'll have to get through Security unless you can lure him out by
offering him another tattoo or something..

And, for the record, my money is on Phil unless you bring a ranged
weapon or have the element of surprise.

> > It has _everything_ to do with namespace management.  In absence of
> > better tools, people are using vos release to do just that.  Note that
> > vos release isn't a bad tool; it's just being stretched beyond its
> > design because people need a way to do versioning of their namespaces.
>
> you want to dump and restore volumes. that's ugly. it's not a namespace
> issue; you want versioned volume clones.

dump/restore is just a mechanism in lieu of a volume copy operation.
Versionized clones could be interesting in this context, but I would
prefer to stay away from that approach as it makes it harder to
recover & see changes in the base volume.  I think having one RW per
'generation' of ROs is reasonable.

With versionized clones, you would need to create a mechanism to have
potentially infinite numbers of clones, with arbitrary generation
identifiers (eg, some would be ok with '1', '2', ..., but some would
want 'alpha', 'beta', ..., or 'dev', 'prod', etc).  IMO, that's better
done outside of the volume itself.

Steven