[OpenAFS] Automatic move of volumes

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:12:59 -0400

On Oct 24, 2007, at 12:21 , Steven Jenkins wrote:

> I think it would be very useful if someone had the time/energy to
> build a 'vms-lite' that people could adopt at their sites.  That seems
> a more strategic direction than trying to extend RO capabilities.

I have to admit I've thought about what would be involved in
developing a ClearCase-like setup based on AFS (CC uses NFS with
snapshots to implement "views"... and seems to inherit NFS's general
lack of structure).  At minimum it would require rather more complex
relationships between R/O versions than AFS currently has (or has the
ability to support without overhauling volume headers at minimum).

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu