[OpenAFS] Server upgrade time; which is the right way?

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:59:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> File locking is simulated in the client.  The client obtains a full file
> lock from the file server and then doles out byte range locks locally to
> the application.
>
> The change in the file server from 1.2.13 to 1.4.5 will provide you with
> large file support and a modification to the locking semantics so that
> users that have 'w' permission do not need to explicitly have 'k'
> permission.  Of course, if you have already granted 'k' permission to
> your users there will be nothing gained.

No kidding...  I knew about the simulated byte-range locks using full file
locks bit, but I don't remember knowing that giving users 'k' will
accomplish the same thing.  Do we really need to be at 1.4.5 to get the
new locking semantics?  I thought the locking support change happened
earlier.

> Is there something else you were thinking of?

Apparently not.  I was thinking that we needed to upgrade the fileservers
in order to begin taking advantage of the simulated file locking feature
for Windows.

Thank you for the clarification.

-Mitch