[OpenAFS] AFS, several users and one file

Daniel Blakeley daniel@ccmr.cornell.edu
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:11:03 -0400

--------------020907010403010508040203

David Smith wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking at AFS because I have the following requirements that I
> believe are impossible with Win XP:
>
>     * A single file is located on a networked computer (WinXP 1)
>     * Several people have access to it on their networked computers
>       (WinXP 2, 3...n)
>     * Only one person should be able to edit (read to later write) the
>       file at any single time
>
> The following is what I have understood to be true with AFS:
>
>     * AFS could be set-up on Win XP1 to serve the single file
>     * WinXP 2, 3...n can access the file by mounting the AFS,
>       appearing like a local drive
>
> If that is true, Is it possible that when the user on WinXP 2 opens
> the file to edit, that all other users (on WinXP 3...n) are denied access?
> If that is true, What kind of feedback would the users on WinXP 3...n
> get about this?
>
> all the best
> Dave
Hi,

I've been using AFS in a windows environment.  It is working okay.
However, if a person opens a MS Word file in AFS that person has total
control of the file.  Nobody else can open the file even for read
access.  Is this normal behavior?  If I open the same file in Linux I
have no problem opening the file and edited it even it is open elsewhere.

Thanks,
- Daniel

--------------020907010403010508040203

<head>
</head>
David Smith wrote:
 type="cite"><!-- <DEFANGED_STYLE>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
 -->
I am looking at AFS because I have the following requirements that I
believe are impossible with Win XP:<br>
  <ul>
    <li>A single file is located on a networked computer (WinXP 1)</li>
    <li>Several people have access to it on their networked computers
(WinXP 2, 3...n)</li>
    <li>Only one person should be able to edit (read to later write)
the file at any single time</li>
  </ul>
The following is what I have understood to be true with AFS:<br>
  <ul>
    <li>AFS could be set-up on Win XP1 to serve the single file<br>
    </li>
    <li>WinXP 2, 3...n can access the file by mounting the AFS,
appearing like a local drive</li>
  </ul>
If that is true, Is it possible that when the user on WinXP 2 opens the
file to edit, that all other users (on WinXP 3...n) are denied access?<br>
If that is true, What kind of feedback would the users on WinXP 3...n
get about this?<br>
all the best<br>
Dave<br>
Hi,<br>
I've been using AFS in a windows environment.&nbsp; It is working okay.&nbsp;
However, if a person opens a MS Word file in AFS that person has total
control of the file.&nbsp; Nobody else can open the file even for read
access.&nbsp; Is this normal behavior?&nbsp; If I open the same file in Linux I
have no problem opening the file and edited it even it is open
elsewhere. <br>
Thanks,<br>
- Daniel<br>

--------------020907010403010508040203--