Fwd: [OpenAFS] best practice for salvage

Esther Filderman mizmoose@gmail.com
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:35:44 -0400

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Andrew Bacchi <bacchi@rpi.edu> wrote:
> I'm considering running a weekly salvage on all file servers from BosConfig.
> Is this too often?  Any reason not to?  What are others doing?  Thanks.

At my last *cough* site, we ran with fast-restart.  Because of the
cruft that would sometimes get left behind in volumes due to things
like crappy fortran compilers, I would run a salvage on each server
every 2-3 months.   As there were rarely any real errors, it ran
pretty quickly and would fit in my "official downtime" window.

I used to run 'em by hand because, well, I only had like 6 servers
(and I'm a hands-on kinda Moose), but it easily could have been
automated.

Moose