[OpenAFS] best practice for salvage

Robert Banz rob@nofocus.org
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:49:51 -0700

--Apple-Mail-5--846558837

Just curious,

What makes you think running salvage is a good thing? I had gotten to
the point where I would avoid running it like the plague -- using
tools such as fast-restart -- and in the time I was running fast-
restart, which included some rather nasty power events which took
things down hard. And, believe it or not, even in those incidents I
only had one or two volumes that I had to hand-salvage.

-rob

On Apr 3, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Andrew Bacchi wrote:

> Thanks, Esther.   I can always count on you for good advice.
>
> I usually run salvage by hand once or twice a year, but my gut says
> run it more often.  I'll write a script that runs on odd months and
> call it from either linux-cron or afs-cron.  One drawback of afs-
> cron is it only knows a weekly time schedule.  Could we put that on
> a wish list?
>
> Esther Filderman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Andrew Bacchi <bacchi@rpi.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm considering running a weekly salvage on all file servers from
>>> BosConfig.
>>> Is this too often?  Any reason not to?  What are others doing?
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> At my last *cough* site, we ran with fast-restart.  Because of the
>> cruft that would sometimes get left behind in volumes due to things
>> like crappy fortran compilers, I would run a salvage on each server
>> every 2-3 months.   As there were rarely any real errors, it ran
>> pretty quickly and would fit in my "official downtime" window.
>>
>> I used to run 'em by hand because, well, I only had like 6 servers
>> (and I'm a hands-on kinda Moose), but it easily could have been
>> automated.
>>
>> Moose
>>

> --
> veritatis simplex oratio est
>
> Andrew Bacchi
> Staff Systems Programmer
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
> phone: 518 276-6415  fax: 518 276-2809
>
> http://www.rpi.edu/~bacchi/

--Apple-Mail-5--846558837

is a good thing? I had gotten to the point where I would avoid running =
it like the plague -- using tools such as fast-restart -- and in the =
time I was running fast-restart, which included some rather nasty power =
events which took things down hard. And, believe it or not, even in =
those incidents I only had one or two volumes that I had to =
3, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Andrew Bacchi wrote:</html><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"> <div =
bgcolor=3D"#ffffff" text=3D"#000000"> Thanks, Esther.&nbsp;&nbsp; I can =
always count on you for good advice.<br> <br> I usually run salvage by =
hand once or twice a year, but my gut says run it more often.&nbsp; I'll =
write a script that runs on odd months and call it from either =
linux-cron or afs-cron.&nbsp; One drawback of afs-cron is it only knows =
a weekly time schedule.&nbsp; Could we put that on a wish list?<br> <br> =
Esther Filderman wrote: <blockquote =
cite=3D"midcff20b320804030635i390b164i130a32159795d787@mail.gmail.com" =
type=3D"cite">  <pre wrap=3D"">On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Andrew =
Bacchi <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" =
href=3D"mailto:bacchi@rpi.edu">&lt;bacchi@rpi.edu></a> wrote:
running a weekly salvage on all file servers from BosConfig.
Is this too often?  Any reason not to?  What are others doing?  Thanks.

site, we ran with fast-restart.  Because of the
cruft that would sometimes get left behind in volumes due to things
like crappy fortran compilers, I would run a salvage on each server
every 2-3 months.   As there were rarely any real errors, it ran
pretty quickly and would fit in my "official downtime" window.

I used to run 'em by hand because, well, I only had like 6 servers
(and I'm a hands-on kinda Moose), but it easily could have been
automated.

Moose

veritatis simplex oratio est

Andrew Bacchi