[OpenAFS] Re: coreutils-6.11 released

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:24:06 -0400

On Apr 21, 2008, at 4:23 , Didi wrote:

>>  If by "unknown" you mean nameless, that's not what the patch does.
>>  Such a patch would not even have been considered.
>
> I agree that hiding this information in some cases might not be
> optimal, but the main problem is that through this the 'groups'
> command becomes utterly useless and confused quite a lot of users.
> $ groups
> users id: cannot find name for group ID 1091323188
> 1091323188

I touched on a solution to that in the part of my message that you
elided.  I admit I was rather confused by what exactly was being
cited as the problem, but this is on I do know about.  (I'd actually
love to see some kind of plugin setup so an AFS PAG shower could be
added, but at the same time that seems just a little bit silly/
overblown for simple stuff like id and groups.)

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu