[OpenAFS] Craziness with cache, Input/Output error, Linux

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:26:06 -0500

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) wrote:
> In message <1754A9A8-3427-4459-B364-338A59AFF70F@umich.edu>,Mike Garrison write
> s:
>> On Apr 21, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Derrick Brashear wrote:
>>> Obviously we need to revisit this. For the record I have never
>>> produced it on my own test hardware.
>> I've never seen this occur on any of our numerous Linux machines.
>> Granted, they're running 2.6.x and not 2.4.x.
>
> i suspect you will only see this bug if your filesystem containing the
> cache is very close to full.

We currently run with a cache set at boot time at 75% of the partition
size, and this has reduced the frequency of the problem to close enough
to zero for us.  At previous higher values (85% ??) we still saw this on
an infrequent but regular basis (across 100s of hosts).

Dave Thompson
UW-Madison