[OpenAFS] maildir on openafs

David Bear iddwb@asu.edu
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:18:22 -0700

------=_Part_21405_2962360.1207703902928

Thanks for the many suggestions. My use case is rather simple (and perhaps
naive). I'm trying to create a machine independant environment so it doesn't
matter if I'm logged on to by workstation or laptop, I still have access to
everything I need. That implies mail. I really can't stand using gmail so I
was going to pop my gmail messages to an afs location and use maildir. Yes,
I know I need a token. At least this way, when I pop my mail I can configure
any MUA to look into afs for the message store.

Since I'm the only use -- and there will likely only be one MUA access the
message store at a time, I could probably use the berkely mailbox format if
maildir is a problem in afs. ( don't want to recompile the client, and cant
recompile the server )

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Robert Banz <rob@nofocus.org> wrote:

> http://www.nofocus.org/maildir/
>
> If you're interested.  The patches are a little out of date, but I could
> pull the most up-to-date ones and put them up there if there's interest.
>
> Personally, I've abandoned them and switched to Cyrus.
>
> -rob
>

> On Apr 8, 2008, at 9:25 AM, Robert Banz wrote:

> > > I've delivered email directly into AFS and it seems to work for a
> > > small
> > > number of users.  I understand that problems arise from hosting many
> > > mailboxes and the number of callbacks to clients when files /
> > > directories get updated with new mail.
> > >
> > > Do you intend to have an SMTP server write directly to AFS?  Or
> > > end-user
> > > run clients write downloaded email into AFS?
> > >

> > I ran a optimized-for-afs maildir at my site for a couple years. It was
> > a great improvement over delivering to berkeley-style mailboxes in AFS.
> >
> > However, I highly recommend deploying a *real* mail solution (e.g.
> > Cyrus), and not deliver mail into AFS or user's home directories.
> >
> > -rob

David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU
602-464-0424

------=_Part_21405_2962360.1207703902928

Thanks for the many suggestions. My use case is rather simple (and perhaps naive). I&#39;m trying to create a machine independant environment so it doesn&#39;t matter if I&#39;m logged on to by workstation or laptop, I still have access to everything I need. That implies mail. I really can&#39;t stand using gmail so I was going to pop my gmail messages to an afs location and use maildir. Yes, I know I need a token. At least this way, when I pop my mail I can configure any MUA to look into afs for the message store.<br>
If you&#39;re interested. &nbsp;The patches are a little out of date, but I could pull the most up-to-date ones and put them up there if there&#39;s interest.<br>
Personally, I&#39;ve abandoned them and switched to Cyrus.<br>
On Apr 8, 2008, at 9:25 AM, Robert Banz wrote:<br>
On Apr 8, 2008, at 9:16 AM, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:<br>
David Bear &lt;<a href="mailto:David.Bear@asu.edu" target="_blank">David.Bear@asu.edu</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
I seem to distantly recall some discussion about storing maildir<br>
directories on openafs, but I don&#39;t remember if it was safe,<br>
discouraged, or otherwise problematic. Any one see problems with<br>
putting maildir in afs?<br>
I&#39;ve delivered email directly into AFS and it seems to work for a small<br>
number of users. &nbsp;I understand that problems arise from hosting many<br>
mailboxes and the number of callbacks to clients when files /<br>
directories get updated with new mail.<br>
Do you intend to have an SMTP server write directly to AFS? &nbsp;Or end-user<br>
run clients write downloaded email into AFS?<br>
I ran a optimized-for-afs maildir at my site for a couple years. It was a great improvement over delivering to berkeley-style mailboxes in AFS.<br>
However, I highly recommend deploying a *real* mail solution (e.g. Cyrus), and not deliver mail into AFS or user&#39;s home directories.<br>
-rob<br>