[OpenAFS] About AFS performance over WAN

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:41:10 -0500

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Dale Ghent <daleg@umbc.edu> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2008, at 4:24 AM, Rainer Toebbicke wrote:
>
>> With unlimited development resources AFS would deserve a better suited
>> protocol than TCP, in practice with a little more realism my gut feeling is
>> that at least some more brain should be devoted to improving plain RX rather
>> than betting on another horse. I occasionally tried over the past years,
>> with some improvements that Hartmut tested as well, but my brain being what
>> it is and the matter relatively complicated results remain modest.
>
> Given this, what are your thoughts on STCP and whether it would be useful in
> this arena?

SCTP. At this point it may have critical mass of platforms we support
and thus be a viable option. That I know of the Windows options for it
are slim. There is a MacOS version from KAME, but I don't know the
licensing details. Since it doesn't ship with the OS (and in any case
where it doesn't) that's a practical consideration.