[OpenAFS] Changing the hostname of AFS server

dave first linux4dave@gmail.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:59:45 -0800

David,

Thank you for responding.

Actually, I do have the server up and running under OpenAFS on Linux.
However, I did this under the quickly departing tutelage of the admin
who has left, and don't really understand some nuances about the
structure yet.

For example, the old Transarc AFS server has distinct and separate
files systems for each mount point:

/vicepa
/vicepb
/vicepc

This made sense back in the day.  But, now, as disks volumes can be
quite large, and on Linux one RAID volume for a disk can be more than
adequate to accommodate all the data we require to be held on AFS.  In
other words, there is a 1:1 correspondence of volume to physical
partition.

So, the question then becomes, can I just use directories under root (
/ ), when I move the old data volume to the new server, or must I keep
the same physical structure for a seamless move?

>From what I can see, I need to keep the same structure, unless there
is a way to map a volume to a subdirectory so that the user need not
be disturbed by the new physical location of the actual data.

I'm sure I must be missing some information about this....  Also, is
this an appropriate question for the openafs-info list, or should I be
asking this on the openafs-user list?  Which would be more
appropriate?

Thanks,
dave