[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on windows - profile in AFS, who uses it?

Rodney M. Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:42:06 -0500

At 04:27 PM 2/10/2008, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
>I have not tested this (all my user directories are out of a single
>folder) but can one use the documented set command envirnoment variable
>display options (set /?) to obtain the first (second, third, etc.) letter
>of a username?

I haven't tested it, but I really doub't that would work since the CMD.EXE
shell is not what is responsible for the redirection operation.  It's only
under the command shell that you have the option of performing environment
variable string manipulations.

Besides, if I take your meaning, you are assuming that the users account
names under "/afs/cell/usr/a" all begin with the 'a' character in the
path.  At our site, they do not.  The algorithm at our site was created
long ago, and not by me.  The algorithm we use is simply to "spread" the
accounts accross the alphabetic characters "evenly" so the number of
accounts under each letter is generally the same.  This was to reduce the
stat'ing time of the subfolders.

Rodney