[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on windows - profile in AFS, who uses it?

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:23:20 +0100

Rodney M. Dyer wrote:
> At 06:42 AM 2/10/2008, Lars Schimmer wrote:
>> Biggest problems:
>>
>> 1. slowness - Users reports of LONG loading times for 400-1000 MB
>> roaming profiles, up to 20 minutes
>=20
> Yeowie!  I guess I should chime in at this point.
>=20
> Our experience with roaming profiles in AFS.
>=20
> We started using roaming profiles really early on, and are still using
> them on XP.  It works, but not without issues.  Most of the issues are
> not caused by AFS, but are caused by general profile problems that exis=
> on any Microsoft network.  Roaming profiles, as positive as they are,
> are so badly implemented by Microsoft that I just want to scream someti=
mes.

> I will try to answer any specific questions if you have any.

Ok, sorry, needed to snip thattext out, seems to be more or less the
same like the PDF on best practice workshop 2005(or 2006?).

As fas as I know, with Windows XP SP2, OpenAFS for Windows >1.5.28 and
OpenAFS fileservers 1.4.6 I don't need most of that stuff.
Oh, Compatible RUPSecurity set active, right.

I was told, it is ok, to set the path of user profile in Windows AD2003
Server to \\afs\cgv.tugraz.at\home\user\win.profile
and it works. Yes, we don't use freelance mode and our cell is in
distributed cellservDB.
Config of OpenAFS msi is to set default cell to ourr and use automatic
logon to obtain ticket/tokens while login into AD.

So far it works with our users.

Maybe I miss some big point or your information is just kind aoutdated?

Although the redirected folder option indeed looks nice. Need to test thi=
s.

Over all, sry, not much time to get in detail now...

> Enjoy,
>=20
> Rodney
>=20

Lars Schimmer
- --
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723