[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on windows - profile in AFS, who uses it?

Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:06:36 -0500

Rodney M. Dyer wrote:
> At 12:33 PM 2/11/2008, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> The AFS client does not support the UNICODE variant of the CIFS
>> protocol and there is a bug in the Windows CIFS client that fails to
>> properly process File Status Notification messages for objects
>> accessed via UNC paths.  This bug was fixed in Vista.  Microsoft does
>> not intend to backport the fix to XP and 2003.
>
> But if I'm reading you correctly, what you are saying is that the "bug"
> is not exactly an AFS problem.  But we only see this problem with AFS.

You would see the problem with any SMB server that does not support
the Unicode variants of the CIFS protocol.

> Using UNC paths with Windows AD shares don't seem to show the issue.  Of
> course I performed that test long ago, so I would need to re-verify my
> suspicion.
>
> If I can put words in your mouth, you might be "implying" that because
> AFS doesn't support the "UNICODE variant" then that tickles the bug to
> show itself?  Where AD shares are fully UNICODE compliant so the "bug"
> doesn't show up?

The bug is specific to the older non-UNICODE variant of the CIFS
protocol as implemented in the Windows clients.  The bug does not exist
for the UNICODE variant.

You do not need to put words in my mouth.

The bug is not an AFS problem but the bug will be avoided after the
redirector based AFS client is implemented.

There are many projects that I wish to implement for OpenAFS that will
make OpenAFS better for Windows users.  Those who wish to seem them
implemented can help by finding financial resources with which
developers can be paid.

http://www.secure-endpoints.com/openafs-windows-roadmap.html

Jeffrey Altman