[OpenAFS] In the RPM spec file, what is the goal of the special fedora option?

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:07:34 -0500

On Feb 12, 2008 9:01 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 4:03 PM, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 2008 4:58 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've been building RPMS for openafs versions for years and have always
> > > just used the default approach that creates openafs-kernel rpm.
> > >
> > > Now I notice in the 1.4.6 spec file an option for fedora, but I can't
> > > quite understand what benefit there is in this approach.  The only
> > > thing I can tell for sure is it builds the kernel module into a
> > > package called kmod-openafs.  I don't understand what the benefit of
> > > that change is.
> > >
> > > Can you fill me in?
> >
> > Other packages for fedora which provide kernel modules do the same
> > with same-style dependencies; we provide something analogous to what
> > everyone else(*) does.
> >
> It is a funny coincidence that, in the rpm-list, I've started an
> argument against ATrpms and the requirement of installing customized
> macro packages.  So I agree with you there.

It's personal preference here. If you buy into ATrpms there's probably value.

> But I'm still not quite getting the point. Aside from renaming the
> kernel module as kmod-openafs, thus allowing  yum or some other
> dependency resolver to do its business, I can't see what this does.
>
> Can I be more specific?
>
> Is the actual kernel file openafs.ko the same thing in either version?

Certainly hope so.

> Is everything else just signals to the rpm database and yum or apt?
>
> I note that kmodtool distributed with openafs-1.4.6 says it is
> customized by Simon Wilkinson.

It adds computation of the "Version" for the spec file.

> That means I erased the pre-existing version of kmodtool that I had in
> my SOURCE tree and I'm a little disappointed there.  When I build some
> other rpm, it is likely that kmodtool willl get erased again.  If
> Simon has something vital in there, it might be better to re-name that
> file kmodtool-afs so that it is not obliterating the standard one.

That's... not really clever to count on. But, this is easy enough to accomodate.