[OpenAFS] In the RPM spec file, what is the goal of the special fedora option?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:47:30 -0500

Simon,

Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> writes:

> The other benefit of kmods is that they are easy to automatically
> build. We're now doing automated nightly builds for all Fedora and
> RHEL distributions that we support, on a single machine, with a
> single build script, and building for all kernel versions variants
> that kernel-devel packages have been published for (around 700
> different kernels, at the last count). This simply wasn't possible
> with the old-style kernel module packaging.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean that it wasn't possible
to build for multiple kernels using the old-style kernel module
packaging?  Before the automated system I was most certainly building
for a multitude of kernels.  Granted, I don't think the number was
up to 700, but it was certainly over 100.  The build scripts were
quite easy and it used the single RPM/SRPM (plus an external script)
to perform the multiple builds.

So I think it's disingenuous to imply that the old methods didn't
work.  They most certainly did.

> The spec file that's currently in CVS makes fedora kmods the default
> for all RPM builds (it can still be overridden by those building for
> other distributions)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

-derek