[OpenAFS] kmod-openafs versioning on RHEL5

Darren Patterson darren.patterson@stanford.edu
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:33:42 -0800

Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2008, at 00:49, Darren Patterson wrote:
>
>> After building new kmod packages for the latest RHEL5 kernel I
>> discovered that rpm is very unhappy with the naming convention.  Yum
>> refuses to install the package claiming that
>
>> kmod-openafs-1.4.5-2.2.6.18_53.1.4.el5 is newer than
>
>> kmod-openafs-1.4.5-1.2.6.18_53.1.13.el5.
>
> If these are literally what you've got, then something odd has
> happened. Note the leading '1' in the release string of the second RPM
> name, compared to the 2 which leads the release of the first kernel
> module.
Yes. At some point there was an openafs-1.4.5-rhel4.2.src.rpm on the
site which I downloaded and used to build packages.  At some later
point, after I had rebuilt several VM guests, that package was gone (and
I didn't notice) and only a rhel4.1.src.rpm was present, which I
subsequently used to build newer kmod packages which won't install.

Will you be putting up 1.4.6 srpms?  I realize that there have been no
code changes from 1.4.5, but you're releasing binaries with a new
version number so it would be really nice to have the srpm since I
assume client fixes will be patched in 1.4.6, not 1.4.5.

Thanks,
-darren