[OpenAFS] A hearty thanks to all OpenAFS developers -- especially Jeff, Derrick & crew

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:50:09 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just wanted to give a heart-felt thanks to Jeff, Derrick, and all the
>> other people who contribute to OpenAFS.
>>
>> At work, I had an experience with a vendor that makes me really
>> appreciate the level of service that the OpenAFS crew provides...
>>
>> A vendor just brushed me off because I'm having problems and on a
>> non-supported Linux distribution, RHEL5.  They want me to downgrade to
>> RHEL4, which is supported. Hello?! RHEL5 has been out for a year! Don't
>> you realize that I'm essentially giving you free help to make your
>> product work on the next version of the OS?! What the frak did we pay
>> support for?
>>
>> This is the second vendor of an engineering application that has brushed
>> me off.  I was lenient with the first because RHEL5 had only been out a
>> couple of months, and they did actually try to help, but they were stuck
>> waiting on one of THEIR vendors!
>>
>> This episode made me appreciate when Derrick was working frantically to
>> have a working OpenAFS client out to support Mac OS 10.5 on the release
>> date.
>>
>> I know I complain and give you guys grief sometimes, but I just wanted
>> to thank you.
>>
>> I know of at least two software vendors that could learn better customer
>> service from the OpenAFS crew.
>>
>> Thanks for letting me vent.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Jason
>
> The only reason we are nice to you is because nobody pays us.
> If we had enough money to actually develop OpenAFS the way we want to,
> you would have a good product but we would treat you like shit just
> like everyone else does.

I hope you're joking. If that happens, Rodney and I will just have to
come up there and have "words" with you guys. Besides, that's what
friends are for. ;)

Well, OpenAFS is still a better product than some other products I know
of that are well funded.

Jason