[OpenAFS] Basic OpenAFS questions

Jim Rowan jmr@qualcomm.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 01:36:12 -0500

On Jun 26, 2008, at 4:43 PM, outsider wrote:

> Well, maybe I should express what I am looking for, in hopes someone
> can
> suggest an alternative.
>
> - join multiple pre-formated (with the FS of my choosing) partitions
> on the
> same machine (on different sized drives) into one large accessible
> space.
> - If one drive dies, only the data on that drive is lost. All other
> data
> remains.
> - If I pull one drive/parttion out, it should be accessible like a
> regular
> partition on another system. (this means that the original FS is not
> modified, and remains accessible when the drive is removed)
>
> I know there's JBOD. What I 'm looking for is kinda like that, but not
> exactly.

mkdir -p /place/a /place/b
mount /dev/deva /place/a
mount dev/edevb /place/b

You can use any sort of native filesystem that your OS will
support...   All data in one contigous space.  Loose a drive; loose
only one directory tree...  Pull the drive out and mount it on some
other system elsewhere...  What else are you missing?