[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Compiling source in Debian (Ubuntu)

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Sat, 7 Jun 2008 13:39:43 -0500

Vishal Powar <vishal.cse.iitk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having some trouble in compiling the sources of (1.4.7) on
> ubuntu. I have an existing cell made up of two machines. One acting as
> the KDC,dbserver 'kerbserver' and other as a fileserver 'server1', I
> have installed this according to the document 'Setting up a Debian
> OpenAFS Server'. The debian paths are different than the traditional
> afs paths, as shown in the two columns below, the first column is the
> traditional path and the second column is the debian path.
>
>      /usr/afs/etc        /etc/openafs/server
>      /usr/afs/local      /var/lib/openafs/local
>      /usr/afs/db         /var/lib/openafs/db
>      /usr/afs/logs       /var/log/openafs
>      /usr/afs/bin        /usr/lib/openafs
>      /usr/vice/etc       /etc/openafs
>
> I have downloaded the source from the openAFS site and compiled it on
> 'server1'.
> './configure  --enable-transarc-paths
> --with-krb5-conf=/usr/bin/krb5-config   make    make dest'
>
> As I understand there is backward compatibility with the previous
> version and should run perfectly fine if I do the following
>
> 1) /etc/init.d/openafs-fileserver stop
>
> 2) Replace the binaries in /usr/lib/openafs
> (fileserver,volserver,salvager)
>
> 3)
> bos install (host) fileserver
> bos install (host) volserver
> bos install (host) salvager
>
> 4) /etc/init.d/openafs-fileserver start
>
> Now here is the problem, the compiled binaries do not follow the
> debian file paths and work with the traditional paths. So the above
> mentioned steps fail.
>
> My question, what do I pass to the ./configure to get the binaries
> work with debian filepaths?
> './configure --help'  did not help me, is there something else that I
> need to do\think? anybody faced similar problem and found a working
> workaround?

This isn't a development question.  It should be sent to openafs-info in
the future.

-----

Set your apt.sources list to deb-src to Debian unstable.  apt-get
update; apt-get source openafs-fileserver; cd openafs*;
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

The Debian packages require actual source code patches to get the proper
paths set for Debian.  Just downloading the raw source from openafs.org
will not get you what you want.

I can help with further questions on #openafs on the Freenode IRC
network.

<<CDC