[OpenAFS] Fedora kernel builds

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:17:52 -0400

David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com> writes:

> Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>> Is this just an oversight in the configuration or an actual change
>> that will come to affect us longer term?  I would think that down()
>> would be an important API to export!
>
> I think this has to be regarded as a bug.  mutex_lock() is too important a
> feature to be broken in this manner.  I'd recommend you send a patch to Linus
> to remove the _GPL on mutex_lock_nested().

It's never stopped the core kernel devs before.  There are a number of
(IMHO important) features that get broken in this manner.  I'm just
waiting until someone does a massive EXPORT_SYMBOL() -> EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL()
migration just to spite those of us who can't ship GPL modules.

Then again I've also just considered a GPL module that wraps all the
GPL-only APIs and just re-exports them. Hey, THAT module is GPL!  ;)
This whole GPL-only thing is just stupid.

> David

-derek