[OpenAFS] Fedora kernel builds

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb@slac.stanford.edu
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:41:03 -0700

=20
> > Then again I've also just considered a GPL module that wraps all the
> > GPL-only APIs and just re-exports them. Hey, THAT module is GPL!  ;)
> > This whole GPL-only thing is just stupid.
>=20
> Read http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/NDISwrapper_and_the_GPL

When I read the original "discussion" (back when it
was the hot topic of the week), my first thought
was I wonder if all positions are consistent
with allowing nVidia and ATI to use "GPL" stubs to
load proprietary binary blobs for their graphics
cards (ndiswrapper was not the first to go down
this route).

GPL(only) is not stupid.  Stallman has a specific
agenda with that particular license.  It is not good,
nor evil.  It just (as with any license) has
specific requirements/expectations.  What may be
stupid is that not everyone understands *any* license
and the agenda behind it before they choose it.  Sun
CDDL, IBM Public License, all have agendas behind them.
(Is there not a story about dealing with the devil?)
For developer types, BSD (type) licenses allows
one to take and to contribute under flexible
conditions.  GPL (type) licenses allows one to
take and requires one to contribute under specific
conditions.  The argument over which is more "free"
is never ending.  However, a license is a license,
and once you pick (or have it picked for you), you
have to continue to abide by it (or get yourself
good lawyers).  If you do not like the license,
do not agree to it.  Easier said than done, of
course.

Gary (Troublemaker) Buhrmaster