[OpenAFS] openafs on iphone

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:36:03 -0400

Alberto Paoluzzi wrote:
> Just an idea:
>
> have the main developers of OpenAFS considered a participation to the
> 100 million dollars contest,
> http://www.nypost.com/seven/03012007/business/apples_big_talk_business_janet_whitman.htm
>
> , with a project of bringing both kerberos and openafs to the apple
> iphone?
>
> The SDK  seems to open the whole OS to developers, and I believe Apple
> would be very happy for the deal.
> It would be a huge achievement for both the iphone platform and the
> openafs community ...
> What do they think about?

Here is a more pertinent link:
http://www.kpcb.com/initiatives/ifund/index.html

It requires submitting a business plan according to the FAQ. This sounds
like a traditional venture capital arrangement instead of just charity.
I'm not sure if they would invest in open-source projects like OpenAFS.

Ok, this is confusing, a couple of articles say that free projects don't
have to pay $99 to distribute apps on the iPhone, but Apple's web site
says different:
    Standard Program $99
    The Standard Program is for developers who are creating free and
commercial applications for iPhone
    and iPod touch.

Jason