[OpenAFS] Mac OSX Finder drag-and-drop failures

Richard Brittain Richard.Brittain@Dartmouth.EDU
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 02:40:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
    I recently ran into a problem with the Mac OSX Finder and AFS, which
was frustratingly difficult to pin down to any particular configuration or
circumstances.

The Finder would not allow _any_ file dragging out of AFS (circle-slash
icon), regardless of destination.  Files could be opened by
double-clicking, and copied with command line tools, and the Finder would
drag files up to AFS (given appropriate tokens and ACLs).  I found this on
three different systems, all previously working fine.  With a few reboots
and restarts of the AFS client, I could get two of them working again, at
least temporarily.  I tried changing the afsd options and CellServDB but
nothing seemed to make a difference (I usually run with -afsdb and a null
CellServDB - I only need to see my local cell).  It seemed to have no
relation to ACLs or tokens.

MacOS OS 10.4.11
OpenAFS versions tried: 1.4.4, 1.4.5, 1.5.28

[ The reason I needed this was to copy some Mac-created files out of AFS,
which had such pathological names that none of the command line tools (cp,
tar, ditto) would succesfully get them all - but I can't blame AFS for
that ]

I strongly suspect that this started happening with some relatively recent
OSX system update, but I've got no older system images to test on.  They
are all 10.4.latest

Anyone else seen similar behaviour ?

Richard Brittain
--
Richard Brittain,  Kiewit Computing Services, 6224 Baker/Berry Library
                    Dartmouth College, Hanover NH 03755