[OpenAFS] New to OpenAFS

billbaird3 billbaird3@gmail.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:22:52 -0700 (PDT)

Jason,

Thanks so much for clarifying things, for the majority of users I think this
will solve a lot of file sharing issues. Most of our locations are dedicated
to a specific department, so traffic will stay on the local network. I do
have a few additional questions if you don't mind...

- Our accounting group is distributed with a equal amount of people in NY,
NC & LA. Right now they all connect to our server (WebDAV, Oracle Content
Services) in NY. It is great for the NY users, but slow for others. Is there
anyway to make an accounting folder available for fast access in multiple
locations? Is there anyway to have read/write clones? If your example, you
say that the read/write copy is accessible via:
"/afs/.example.com/shared/procedures". This is different than
"/afs/example.com/shared/procedures". Just wanted to confirm that it isn't a
typo...

- Have you integrated your OpenAFS server into an LDAP or Directory server?
We are planning to run Samba with an OpenLDAP backend for our domain. Is
this possible? I haven't been able to find my documentation about this. We
are actually starting fresh, so we are open to any directory system as long
as we can have other other apps authenticate via LDAP.

- Lastly, when users are connecting to AFS do they need to only be able to
contact one AFS server? Or contact others? For example, do the LA users need
to talk to the NY server? Or do they talk to the LA server and the LA server
handles interaction with NY?

Thanks!

--Bill