[OpenAFS] New to OpenAFS

billbaird3 billbaird3@gmail.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:54:11 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for explaining all of this, I have been reading documentation...but
some things just aren't very clear.

It appears that you can store heimdal in ldap and there is documentation
available for settings that up. I have been doing a lot of reading and plan
on setting up a test server in the near future.

One question I have is about a network layout. To minimize changes in each
office...I would like to have our main data center have a network that all
VPN users (which is everyone, all the time) connect to...say 10.0.0.0/24.
The branch office openafs servers would then have a local ip (192.168.0.0/24
networks) as well as a VPN IP (10.0.0.0/24).  Is it possible to do this and
have the clients pick the closest server? For example...list our Los Angeles
server in the CellDB with a local address and a vpn address giving the local
address priority...so only people in that office can connect? Any other user
would default to the vpn address.

Is this possible? If not, I imagine we would need to redo our ip addressing
scheme in each office that would have a server.

Thanks again for all the help!

--Bill