[OpenAFS] effects of NAT

Jason C. Wells jcw@highperformance.net
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:33:24 -0700

Christof Hanke wrote:
> On Wed, March 26, 2008 7:15 pm, David Bear wrote:
>> I know there have been some outspoken voices on issues related to NAT.

Hostname canonicalization is sure to cause you problems in some strange
fashion.  You'll want to look into that.  I would agree that real IPs
for the servers (both AFS and Kerberos) are a good idea.  I would also
think that static nat would be a good idea if you can't have static
public ips.

I was running entirely behind a firewall but now I have need to support
roaming users for a SOHO network.  Canonicalization was an issue for me
because my ISP controls my PTR records.  I am just now getting around to
fixing that.  I plan to push all my servers out into the wild. (ooh scary)

Later,
Jason