[OpenAFS] will OpenAFS serve my needs?

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:15:45 -0500

F. Even <openafslists@elitists.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>> "F. Even" <openafslists@elitists.org> writes:
>>
>>  > So...I guess another question then (that everyone probably dreads
>>  as > it's usually meaningless to real support of a product, but it
>>  gives > companies warm and fuzzies).  Are there any commercial
>>  products still > out there supporting OpenAFS?
>>
>>  Yes -- one example that comes to mind is Teradactyl's backup system.
>
> Ah...you bring up another interesting point.  We use TSM for backups.
> Can the AFS "exports" be read as normal filesystems and be backed up

"Exports" is a NFS term.  One would not backup the data through the
/vicepXX partitions on the fileservers like one can with NFS.  You would
want to use an AFS client which should work just fine, provided you
understand circular mount points and how afs can link to foreign cells
and such.  And your backup software obviously needs an ACL to read the
data.

> to TSM...or would this data have to be flushed to a normal filesystem
> (using up additional space) to make available to TSM for backup
> purposes?

Some sites actually still use a TSM client for native AFS backups.  The
older TSM 5.1r17 or 5.1r18 client still supports AFS "buta" file level
backups.  Although you have to run the TSM backups from an AIX client
machine.

<<CDC