[OpenAFS] Getting Tickets but not Tokens

Jason C. Wells jcw@highperformance.net
Sat, 10 May 2008 14:16:12 -0700

Christopher D. Clausen wrote:

> The error indicates a Kerberos problem, not an AFS problem.
>
> Where did you get aklog from?  openafs 1.2.8 does not have an aklog
> binary and I suspect your aklog is trying to contact a krb524d process
> on the KDC (runs on port 4444 udp) and is probably failing thus
> rendering you unable to obtain tokens.
>
> Either upgrade to a newer openafs version or obtain an aklog that has
> native Kerberos 5 support and does not need a krb524d service running.
> (You could also enable krb524d on the KDC, but I would not suggest
> that.)

Now it's all coming back to me.

I don't normally use the Linux client.  Normally I use the Windows
client. As such, I had some latent breakage on my network that I only
now discovered.  Once upon a time I was switching over to use krb5
rather than the kaserver.  I think I swiped an aklog from some site that
was providing help/instruction during the big switch to krb5.  Time
passed and I switched from MIT KDCs to Heimdal KDCs and in the process I
quit running krb524d.

That you recalled that 1.2.8 didn't have aklog is impressive.  I want
you on my OpenAFS bar trivia team.

Thanks a bunch!

Regards,
Jason