[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] An open letter from the OpenAFS Council of Elders

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sun, 11 May 2008 13:54:29 -0500

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:58:53PM -0400, Dale Ghent wrote:
> On May 8, 2008, at 5:11 PM, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>
> >Finally, from a developer point of view, I believe it is quite
> >important
> >that the first project of the new foundation be to migrate from the
> >existing CVS source code repository to a distributed open-source based
> >version control system.
>
> I believe you meant to say "from a political point of view..."

I think the politics of funding a foundation might be better served by
continuing the relatively closed-access CVS repo.

I probably should have said "From an ocassional Openafs code contributor
point of view". I'd just like to use tools that git/mercurial have to
merge my changes up to the latest release.

That being said, a distributed source control system could still be kept
under pretty tight control if the politics demanded it.