[OpenAFS] Summary of recommended configuration options from the workshop

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 26 May 2008 11:30:16 -0700

Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> writes:

> Here are my notes from the workshop configuration discussion about
> recommended configuration options:
>
> afsd:
> recommended size: 20% of root drive  or larger if needed for your working
> set.
> -dynroot
> -nojumbograms (?? not documented. is this an option?)

-nojumbo is a fileserver option rather than a cache manager option.

> -stackhash (?? Is this for real? It's not documented)

I see no sign of it in the source code.

> fileserver:
> -p 128 ( maximum number of threads )
> -vattach # (greater than 1. should this be equal the number of partitions)

I'm not sure if it always makes sense to make it equal to the number of
partitions.  It should be at least equal to the number of separate
spindles, since volume attaching is an I/O-intensive operation, I think.
If you have a bunch of partitions on the same disk, it's not clear to me
that increasing this will help.

It's very similar to the salvager option.